
Unexpectedly, I have a date tonight.
That is unexpected and sudden in so far, as it is, well - sudden and unexpected.
On my way to meeting with up my friends last night, I was accosted by a rather nice looking, rather handsome and rather well-dressed guy of about my age.
"Excuse me", he said, and I assumed he was going to ask for the time or directions, "Are you hungry by any chance, I'd love to take you out to dinner right now."
I said that I was flattered by the suggestion (because I did like what I saw), but that I was meeting some friends and was already running late, it was past 11 PM and I should have been at the bar half an hour ago.
He said that was a shame and asked whether there was the slightest possibility that we could go for dinner tomorrow instead, and because I was sort of taken by surprise and also in a hurry, I simply gave him my number and said that why not, he could call me and we might plan something but now I really had to go.
I don't know, this might turn out to be a fiasco (I am not a fan of spontaneous almost-blind dates per se), but in keeping with my resolution not to waste my life on anxiety and hesitation anymore, I've decided to give it a shot.
Who knows, that guy, which I am going to nickname T. in the (highly unlikely) event that he actually takes on a recurring role on this blog, might be worth knowing, might be interesting or funny or charming for all I know.
So, I'll let you know how that goes.
Also, I will now be answering a set of questions that the lovely and incredible Petal posed:
1) What is your favourite kind of cake, pie, biscuit, dessert, or sweet thing? (To eat, smell, look at, destroy...)
It varies - To eat, it would be crème brulée, to smell it would have to be Walkers Shortbread Highlanders - I can get high off that smell, I'm not kidding, it is intoxicating like a drug.
To look at, it is now something that I have just discovered - an outlandishly beautiful creation of white chocolate sprinkled with raspberry pieces, ground rose petals and chilli, all blood red on snowy white ground, extremely enchanting to look at and for sale at our local Organic Foods supermarket.
To destroy, it would be chocolate muffins, because I cannot resist them and I hate it; they destroy me from the inside.
2) If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
This is such a tough one - spontaneously, my brain came up with "Tower of Song" by Leonard Cohen.
Then again, I would also have to take into consideration "Bring me The Disco King" by David Bowie, because I can physically not go a single music-related question on anything without trying to bring Bowie into it.
Another candidate would be "Acts of Man" by Midlake.
I wonder why none of them are upbeat happy songs.
I guess it says something about me, something sad and very very cliche.
3) What is your favourite part of your body?
My lips, hands down.
They are perfect in my eyes, although that seems very cocky and narcissistic; to lessen that impression I will add that I have had that notion reinforced by quite a few others.
If we were talking body parts outside of the facial region, I would say hands or the region around my waist and ribcage, because I tend to be much slimmer there than anywhere else.
4) Do you paint your toenails and fingernails? If so, what colour, and why?
Sometimes, and when I do it is usually in one of three colours -
A) black, because it brings back fond memories of my "rebellious" teenage years, when I considered it an outrageous fashion statement,
B) some sort of transparent colour because it is practical and doesn't really show when it chips, or
C) bright hot pink, because I consider it an outrageous fashion statement now, coming from myself, and most people who know the usual confines of my style would agree.
5) Do you prefer baths or showers?
This is another tough one, I am very schizophrenic on a lot of issues like that.
There is a part of me that ABSOLUTELY prefers baths, because they are relaxing and contemplative, and that part used to be very dominant and had me bathing far more often than showering in my teenage years.
Then again, there is a part that believes people who only ever bathe are pussies, and that prefers showers because they are quick and cleansing and sharp, and wake you up.
I've been showering more often recently, it seems to be tied in a silly way to my idea of becoming more assertive.
6) Have you seen Alice in Wonderland? If so, what was your opinion on the dancing scene?
I haven't; if I had I'd probably be bitching about the dancing scene because I love to get all flustered about questionably entertaining scenes in movies like that.
7) What means the most to you, and why? This could be anything, an item, an emotion, a person, a place... you decide.
As and abstract concept - freedom.
That is silly because it is such a cliche and an unobtainable one to boot, because one cannot even define entirely what it is about, or how one would go about achieving it to completeness.
Still, it is the word that has always meant the most to me.
Tied in with that, the place that means the most to me is the sea and the seaside, because it embodies and defines and symbolizes my romantic ideal of freedom to perfection.
8) Would you eat spaghetti with a spoon and fork, or a knife and fork?
I'd really prefer to use just the fork, but if I had to choose I guess I'd take the spoon.
And then leave it lying next to the plate untouched the entire meal.
9) Can I have a kitten?
Only if you don't dress it up.
10) Do you prefer hand-written letters, or emails?
Both, for different reasons and different occasions.
PS: I have just decided it would definitely be "Bring Me the Diso King" - I just cannot live without that song.
You promised me the ending would be clear
You'd let me know when the time was now
Don't let me know when you're opening the door
Stab me in the dark, let me disappear
Memories that flutter like bats out of hell
Stab you from the city spires
Life wasn't worth the balance
Or the crumpled paper it was written on
Dead or alive.... Bring me the Disco King.

Good call on the Bowie song! After I answered the question I thought of at least 50 others I would choose. Also on the Walkers Shortbread. Lovely little rounds of sugary butter.
ReplyDeleteAnd good luck on the date! I haven't been on a proper date in ages. Let alone with a handsome, well dressed stranger. Get it, girl.
You are super cool and interesting, for real!
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your date, but also be careful... Not a big fan of dating people I just met. Hope you have a good time and that he's an awesome gentleman!
I wish I could see your lips. Yes, that sounds creepy, and no, I didn't mean for it to BE creepy...but now that it's out there, I guess I don't mind so much. ;) What I mean to say is, I bet they're lovely. :D
ReplyDeleteBowie = <3 My song would be "Dosed" by RHCP. Chili Peppers for life, baby. I want to marry them.
Oooh, I'm suddenly very intrigued and excited about this new handsome gentleman. I imagine him very perfect GQ Abercrombie or American Eagle ad type, with a square jaw and a cool gaze and sweepy hair that makes you wanna swoon and that'd be okay because his big manly musclebound arms could catch ya on the way down. ;)
I'll be tuning in for updates.
Umm...and...I love you? yes. That is all for now.
<3
P.D.
I like your song choices :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your date, I hope you have a fun time!
And I'm so very sorry about your mom. That is so scary and I can't believe that such a terrible thing happened to her. She is lucky to have you <3
I hope she is okay and I hope you are okay too.
*hugs*
Nicole
*gasp* my post will be awfully jealous of you hanging around other men if he is to be the father of your children.
ReplyDeleteI have been watching Dexter non-stop for a few days, so I am having purely irrational fears that this random guy is some psychopath. See what TV does to people? Jesus.
I am a survey whore, so I am going to have to answer these questions myself. However, I am going to omit the Alice and Wonderland question because I think it's completely stupid. What can I say, I am a harsh judge of survey questions.
<3
Summer
p.s.
Send an email my way sometime!
summer.fitzgerald@ymail.com
(That's a really secretive and anonymous contact address isn't it?)
Hope your date went well!
ReplyDeleteYou got an award from me as well.
xoxo
Good luck on your date. I love your song choices also :)
ReplyDelete