Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beauty and the Beast



Unsurprisingly, this is a post on beauty; and Beauty and I have a rather strained relationship.

I can be beautiful, I know that - I can make myself so, I can pull myself together, I can focus my mind and I can seem that way to others, if I just focus enough, if I'm having a good day.

Beauty is an effort I make, a mask I put on, but it is not my natural state.

I feel like a monster underneath, hideous, inappropriate, crudely sensual in all its repulsive glory and glorious repulsiveness.

I feel that if I'm not careful, if I relaxed too much, that natural state would come through, would break its way out to the exterior.

I feel that sometimes, when I don't look into a mirror for a while, my features begin to shift without my constant scrutiny - the edges sharpened and the angles blunted, the brows protruding and the chin receding, the eyes sinking deep into their sockets - and then, when by chance I catch a glimpse of myself in a darkened window after nightfall, I look like a Gargoyle, I have turned into something dangerously close to what nature intended me to be.

It's in my body and my mind - the monster is inside, but it would also be outside if it got even the slightest chance.

My body seems to be straining, constantly, to transform itself into that monstrous form against my desperate and ever-more-exhausted attempts to restrain it.

My limbs, my fingers, my feet, seem straining constantly to develop in a crude and gangly fashion, to stand off at odd angles and curl up into themselves, my joints are straining to grow gnarly and repulsively swollen, my back is straining beyond belief to arch itself into a hunched and croony form.

My skin is straining constantly to break out into festering pustules and ulcerous pimples all over my body, to grow hair that will cover me whole, to hold on to any kind of filth and stain that might come its way.

My flesh is straining to expand, to break out in masses of fatty tissue obscuring the form of my skeletal frame underneath.

That would be me, I feel, if I wasn't careful, if I didn't take any pains to hide it - a monster, winged and horned, with huge gluttonous lips smacking in delight over a greasy, pimpled chin.

And every day I try to make believe, I bathe, I shower, I scrub, I shave, I run, I restrict, I clean, I push; I do my hair and I treat my skin, I cover with makeup any pimples or redness, I dress my body to hide the fat that is pushing to the surface, I push my body to its limit in order to burn it, I paint my lashes, adorn myself with jewelry and a false smile, I open my eyes wide and I purse my lips in an appealing fashion.

I do everything to hold onto the last vestiges of self-control, to become prim and proper and clean and neat and pretty, everything that society smiles upon and would wish a human being to be.

While in truth - I am meant to be a monster, I am fit to live in a cave and scare away small children with my unashamed hideousness; heck, I am probably fit to eat them.

I don't want to feel like this all the time, on the verge of breaking into ugliness befitting a creature of gruesome legend, of gluttony and hideousness meant to be cited in cautionary tales.

I don't want to go through the motions everyday, straining to make myself appear as if I had any business at all in the realm of beauty.

Still I do, because the alternative seems ever more terrible, and I am not ready yet to let the Beast win - despite the monstrosity that I feel underneath, I am not willing to give up on beauty.

9 comments:

  1. Once again, you hit the nail in a beautiful and honest way that I can completely relate to. Beauty holds a special power for women, who would want to give it up? And being human beings I have this feeling that we are all monsters, sadly.
    Oh dear, I was going to go off on this tangent that seemed oh-so-right and comforting but it's 8AM, I've gotten the bare minimum of sleep and I have therapy.
    ANYWAY, if you're a monster gargoyle, then I can only hope to be the kind of monster that you are. Love to you. Sorry about this. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are every bit as strong as I am <3

    This post is incredibly stirring. I am so impressed by your ability to articulate the complex and frightening world that dwells beneath the surface. I know that world all too well, and I know how very difficult it is to silence those awful voices that scream such terrible lies in your ear.

    You are not a monster. You are not a monster at all. Even though I have never seen you in person, I can still tell you that you are absolutely beautiful. You are so thoughtful and kind, smart and funny, and you are a very gifted writer. It's not easy to illustrate and color the world using only words, but you are able to do this and you do it incredibly well. You possess all of these beautiful qualities and that is why you are a beautiful person. You are so so so much more than just a body.

    Anyway I want you to know that I think highly of you. And even if you are not yet able to see your worth through your own eyes, know that in my eyes you are worth so very much.

    Please be kind to yourself and I will always wish the best for you :)

    *hugs*
    Nicole

    p.s. Don't apologize for your comments, I am always very happy to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post made me think a lot. i often feel like i dont try hard enough to be perfect. i focus on one or two imperfections and concentrate on only those. i let my mind be filled with improving them and i dont think about anything else. however, you concentrate on all the imperfections that you can see on yourself. maybe one day you will be very near perfect and ill still be concentrating on one part of me, miles behind you. but maybe theres hope for both of us. we shouldnt give up, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too.

    We can be gargoyles together....unpretending, child-eating ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, eloquent, and alarmingly accurate. One of my favorite posts written by you. In fact, this post reminds me of the music video for Bowie's "Look Back in Anger."

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry, i did get your email, but i haven't gotten around to writing back. i will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sunshine award coming your way, check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a curry joint on Brick Lane that has 'murals' all over the wall that combine ancient Indian mythology with slyly erotic fantasy graphics.

    And the food tastes like liquid sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT WAS AWESOME! You are describing the human race. We are disgusting creatures underneath it all. Imagine how civilized society would look without all the primping and posturing?
    I love it! Are you published?

    ReplyDelete